History

Community Hospital of Staunton as it exists today was constructed in several phases. The first phase completely renovated and converted the former North Grade School into the originally named Community Memorial Hospital and opened its doors on January 1, 1951. The hospital was dedicated to World War I and II veterans from Staunton and the surrounding communities. At its opening, the hospital had 49 beds, 7 bassinets, diagnostic radiology, laboratory services, and out-patient services. At the time, the hospital advertised an emergency room that was available to patients twenty-four hours per day. Community Memorial Hospital was the vision of local coal miners who observed numerous injuries in the many area mines but knew the nearest hospital was twenty minutes away. The total cost was the unheard-of sum of $254,000. The citizens of Staunton and surrounding areas pulled together and made the vision a reality.

In 1959, a one-story food service storage building was added, and shortly after in 1961, a one-story addition was erected to house a generator, dietary addition, and sun porch. Several years later, the sun porch was converted into a seven-bed ward room. A significant addition was made in 1963 consisting of 1,160 square feet of space that included a laboratory, x-ray storage, and medical records.

A large addition was built in 1966 due to over-crowding, and it consisted of three stories with patient rooms, x-ray, laundry, and office space. During this construction, existing facilities were remodeled for a drug room, linen storage, and offices. The dietary department was also remodeled. That same year a building was added to the rear to be used as storage and a maintenance workshop area.

Fast forward to the most recent and most extensive renovation, which was completed in 2016. Breaking ground on the $14 million project in 2013, the upgrade and renovation included a new emergency department, laboratory, materials management department, and patient registration. This project was partially funded through the efforts of the Keeping Healthcare Close to Home Capital Campaign, which raised over $1 million through the generosity of the people and businesses in and around the hospital’s service area.

Shortly following the completion of the renovation project, Community Memorial Hospital affiliated with Anderson Hospital in Maryville, IL. With the affiliation came a name change for the hospital which was renamed Community Hospital of Staunton, An Anderson Healthcare Partner. The affiliation aligned Community Hospital of Staunton with a larger organization and allowed CHS to enhance and broaden the care it provides.